Monday, September 8, 2008

Countdown

Ok, so in my head I have some hairband singing "the final count-down"...not sure who.  I just know it is a hair band from the good old days. :)  If I had any IT/computer knowledge I would totally put that song on here...on repeat...so you had to listen to it over and over and over....cuz that would be kinda fun....to torment the 2 readers who actually check this out (but never comment).  I mean, it isn't like I need validation (ok, maybe I do), but seriously, 1 comment ever.  That is a sad little commentary.  But I guess I don't post for you, dear reader (singular, not plural), I do it for posterity.  So I can look back in a year and remember all the struggles and (please god) look at my sweet baby(ies) and know he/she/they were worth it.  Anyway - tangent alert. Let me get back to it.

I went to the RE on Friday and was told my lining is "lagging behind".  But my follicles and blood work was good.  I was to continue my protocol and go back Monday.  Well, I go this morning and they show me how much I am going to owe...a solid $2500 MORE than what I had budgeted for.  And they show it to you when you are in front of all the other patients waiting for the DR.  It's not like I can quietly say "holy shit" and not have someone notice.  I guess I need to call tomorrow and have them actually print out what the extra fees are.  I am pretty sure ICSI (or is it ICIS???? the thing where they inject the sperm right into the egg) is an additional $250, but still - that is $2250 unaccounted for.  So luckily I don't have to pay today - I pay before the procedure...which we don't really know when that is.

I pay for today's u/s, b/w and my beloved donor sperm and go sit back down to wait.  The whole entire time I am looking at the cute, loving couples who probably can write a check for the entire amount without blinking (or worse yet, have their insurance cover it) and am freaking out.  My heart is pounding, I am sweating...I swear I can almost feel my eye twitching.  I am in panic mode.  What the hell am I doing? How can I spend that much?  How can I go into debt that much (ok, that much MORE)?  They finally call my name and I go in.  I won't even begin to tell you about the blood draw - I think it was an intern...and not an Izzy or Yang or Karev....it was a bad one.  But I digress.  The u/s was fine.  My lining is "coming along", my estrogen level was "great" and follies looked good.  All fairly positive.

But then they tell me I need my blood pressure taken, etc, as a prep for the retrieval.  My blood pressure is normally 100 over something (I can never remember the bottom number).  But I tell the nurse that I am a bit terrified over everything and I can feel my heart beating faster.  My bp was 112 over 72.  Not bad, by any means, but definitely elevated for me.  Oh well.  She goes over the procedures and gives me some good news:  my RE doesn't charge for the freezing/storage of the frozen embryos...yay.  

Ok, my beloved cat Murray has decided to lay right across my hands and the keyboard and purr like there is no tomorrow, so there are going to be some typos...but that is fine.  Murray just wants to be part of this post...I need to see if I can find a picture and show you what a fine feline he is.  He is 13 and my baby.  

Where was I?  Oh yes, free (not a word I will ever hear again from that office, I am sure).  But that is some unexpectedly good news so I will go for it.  I go back Wednesday to see where I am at. I could possibly have the retrieval Thursday or Friday. Oh, but the really good news is that I get to add another shot to my routine.  I take one at 7:00 am, one at 7:00pm (both in the bum) and another one at 10:00pm in the stomach or thigh.  This newest one is to stop ovulation...because that would just defeat the whole purpose, now wouldn't it???  I am told this one burns, which I am really looking forward to.  

I don't have anything exciting to add. Oh WAIT.  Yes I do.  Guess who I got an email from!  Boring guy...the one I threw back...and guess what I did?  I responded in a nice breezy, chatty email and apologized for the way I ended it.  Yes, boy or girl (whichever one is reading this), I got the chance to be nice and hopefully the baby fairies will know that I tried to put good karma (or juu juu) out there.  But I told him that I wasn't in a place to date right now, but if he wanted to hang out as friends, I am down with that.  At least this way I will just pay for myself and not both of us. :)  If I have a son, I hope I can make him realize that cheap is not a good thing when it comes to dating.

Gotta run!  Will update more in a few. 

No comments: