Monday, September 15, 2008

6 Eggs

I had my retrieval on Sunday.  It was a fairly odd experience - I went to the hospital, changed into a fabulous hospital gown and got some drugs.  They put me in a twilight sleep and took out 12 eggs.  It only took about 15 minutes and I woke up from the drugs about 20 minutes after the procedure.  They gave me some super strong tylenol and I went home.  I ended up sleeping most of the day with a heating pad on cuz I had some massive cramps.

I still feel pretty bloated, but no pain.  The dr called and they injected sperm (ICSI) directly into 11 of the eggs (evidently 1 ruptured or something).  Of the 11 that were injected,  7 fertilized - but only 6 fertilized normally.  I don't know if they are all good or what. I don't even know if it is normal to only have 50% of the eggs retrieved fertilized.  To me, that number seems low...but who knows.

The DR will call me again tomorrow to let me know what time my transfer is on Wednesday and will also give me an update on the status of the eggs.  They will transfer 3 (if available).  If there are more than 3 that are in good shape, they will freeze the remaining...just in case I need a frozen embryo transfer. What I REALLY want to happen is this cycle works and I can save the frozen ones for future siblings. :)  I have been praying as much as I can possibly pray.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers, people.  I will update tomorrow when I know what the situation is. 

No comments: