Sunday, December 30, 2007

Waiting Game

I had my first IUI with Dr. D on Friday.  I am used to a fair amount of cramping when ovulating with Clomid...but it was a ton worse on these injections.  I could hardly walk upright.  But I felt better on Saturday morning, so I am just assuming it was normal due to more follicles.  I will start taking progesterone on Monday, twice a day until I take a pregnancy test.  Then, if negative, I start the process all over.

When I had the procedures with my beloved Dr. Hottie, I would obsess about it.  I would go home after each procedure and lay down for hours, hoping the extra horizontal time would somehow get more sperm up to the target area.  Dr. Hottie said I could hang upside down for hours and it wouldn't make a difference, but somehow it always made be feel better.  This time, I laid on the table for 15 minutes after the IUI (trying to relax by listening to my IPOD) and then went to work.  I was very uncomfortable though, so left about 3:00.  

Not that I want to jinx this or anything, but when Dr. D was doing my last ultrasound before the IUI, she said I had "a lot" of follicles.  Dr. Hottie would always count them and measure...Dr. D. just said I had a bunch.  She has a policy that if you have "a bunch" of follicles, you must agree to having a reduction done if you get pregnant with multiples.  I think she is fine with twins, or even triplets, but if the procedure results in multiples then she has you reduce them...for your health and the babies.  I have a lower risk of multiples since I am using frozen sperm, but it is something I had to think about.  I understand why she has this requirement.  And, right now, I don't think I would have a problem with a reduction if I absolutely had to.  I know nothing about the process, how they are chosen, anything.  And I truly do pray that I will never have to know.  I just pray for one healthy baby.

An update on the dating front: I am using an online dating service and so far have not had any dates.  There are several men I am emailing, but none have progressed to any face to face meeting.  This is a terrible time - who wants to meet someone new over Christmas or even New Years.  New Years is bad enough - no need to complicate it with some new date.

I had charted what my body was doing with all the other procedures - but I am not going to this time.  I don't know that it helped me at all...just made me think about it every day.  And not that I can help BUT think about it with the progesterone, but I am not sure if the progesterone has side affects that would be different than normal. And I don't want to get my hopes up any more than I already have.  That just makes the negative so much worse.

But positive thoughts can't hurt - I am keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: